Tuesday 11 June 2019



A stand out 5 stars for this one.
Two strangers turn up at an isolated farmhouse and slaughter the Cooper family. Little Nell, however, escapes and runs. Meanwhile, Valerie Hart is on the trail of the serial killers and that trail eventually leads to Nell.
I wasn't sure I could keep reading this book when I started it. It is full on gruesome and dark and scared the hell out of me. I especially don't like it when children are hurt, so if you don't like that either, you may want to give this a miss. I persevered, and I'm glad I did.
The writing is excellent. I loved the flawed character Valerie. Yes I know, another flawed cop, but she was so good, her own story so heartbreaking and beautifully done. I wanted her to succeed and not just in finding the killers.
The writing also takes the reader into the mind of the killers. You get to feel and see what they do and why they do it. It will make you squirm and probably feel sick but also compelled to read on.
I did think the ending was drawn out, like a blockbuster film where the villain cannot be killed even when faced with experienced, gun-wielding cops. But it does stretch the conflict and suspense until it's almost unbearable, and it would make a brilliant film.
Altogether a very disturbing but so well written book.
I'm still recovering.

No comments:

Post a Comment