Tuesday 19 March 2019

My review of Red Snow by Will Dean




Two bodies, two coins, two weeks and so the story unfolds. I loved Dark Pines and couldn't wait to read this one and follow Tuva Moodyson's journey. Tuva is now preparing to leave Garvrik, which I for one, am sorry about. I love shivering when I read about this cold, isolated place where when you open a window, 'freezing air pours in like seawater' and where 'everything’s white. It looks like God poured a bottle of correction fluid over the whole town, and who the hell could blame him.' The author's descriptive writing is so good you are transported to Garvrik and chilled to the bone as you read.
Before Tuva leaves she has one last job to do, research on the liquorice factory and the secretive family who live there.
The author's last book left me with strange images of trolls and this book has left me with images of snow skulls! Very creepy and I loved the information about liquorice.
Tuva is a great character, very well drawn, very real and I hope she continues to feature in future books. I so wanted her to find love, especially when we find out what's going on in Tuva's head, for example. 'When she stands in front of me my head turns into a soft clump of overcooked pasta' or 'we're slowly tangling together like climbing roses.'
The writing throughout this book is beautiful, descriptive, excellent and this, together with the fantastic array of characters, makes this an outstanding book.

No comments:

Post a Comment